Monday, October 22, 2012

So I am a Pinterest Pin... Motivating Others!!!

Last week I went to my friend Ali's Pinterest page (CoreCamper.com)- I'm an avid Pinner, thanks to my sister Bec- and lo and behold: I am now a Pinterest pin!!! I swear by her workouts and hope that others are inspired. If you Pin, check out her boards on Healthy Eating and Exercise!!! If there was anything that was an extrinsic motivator, besides my daughter, this is it!

As an educator and also an exercise physiologist and nutritionist (I hold a Bachelors in exercise phys with an emphasis in cardiac rehab with minors in geriatric psychology, business, and nutrition)- the theory was if all else failed I could open my own fitness business (I graduated from college the last time the economy wasn't doing so hot), I'm constantly looking for ways to motivate others. I remember looking at pictures like this and thinking, "Wow, how inspiring! How can I use this information to motivate others (and myself)?".  After years of not being as healthy as I knew to be, and hastening an early death, I decided that to be the best I could be in regards to health, for Chloe, was more important to me than anything else. I have been diligent to follow a pretty heavy exercise regimen which includes Ali and Mark's workouts to running and lifting weights (I also have a Snap Fitness membership).  I will tell you that the Holman's workouts alone would be enough, but my Type A personality motivates me to do better.  This has culminated in doing several 5Ks over the last few months and preparing for a half marathon and the Army 10 Miler next year.

I've also been working out in a group fitness class with a friend of mine who is a former Army  Ranger. This consists of several mile hikes on a trail complete with weights. The first hill on this trail is a straight up incline.  I haven't seen so many puke at once since college, when we reached the top.  Though I was out of breath, I thankfully was not one of them because I was sipping my water instead of chugging it and I also hadn't eaten anything but breakfast that day.  The guy behind me was laughing because he said, he'd heard this workout was grueling and the puking proved it.  Besides getting a great workout, we were challenged to breath only from our noses by holding water in our mouths the rest of the workout. Let's just say that warm water is pretty ick after an hour.... Most of us were happy to spit it out.   I was prepared for the worst... but (not pun intended) my glutes hurt so bad the next day, that I stood up at work the next day while I was working. My assistant came by my office and was laughing at me because I refused to sit down. I seriously am considering getting an exercise ball to sit on in my office so I can multitask. No pain, no gain: RIGHT?

I have finally reached my goal weight but to maintain, I need to lose another 25 lbs or so.  Instead of letting the stress of the last year get to me, I spent many hours and days in the gym, working off the stress. Getting stronger and shedding the last few pounds, really was rewarding.  It was the silver lining in the storm. According to my surgeon, I can get my tummy tuck after my eighteen month mark, which is this month... Actually it has already passed...  However, I am working hard to develop my core so that once the surgery is complete, I continue to strengthen and maintain my core. Of course, I do not plan to do this until I reach the two year mark in April or shortly thereafter.

 I also plan on getting breast augmentation: just a lift.  Lord knows I don't need any more volume! Ali reminded me that you can always "buy them" if you lose them... And boy did I ever lose them.... I was a 42DDD when I started my weight loss.  Cracked me up, but she does have a point! I have more than enough, so I don't need to buy them, even after one reduction, but I would like to lift these 34-36Ds back to where they belong. In the meantime, Victoria's Secret pushup bras and I are GREAT friends... I seriously find myself buying one every two weeks with all the sales they have! I pay my card off every month, only to pay it off again the next month. Even without those, I haven't evidently lost my chest as much as some people have after the surgery.  I attribute to all the years that I life guarded and swam.

I still run into the same old problem I have had since I was a teenager: having to buy shirts and sweaters, or anything that buttons across my chest, in a size larger. Case in point, since I am smaller than I was last year, I ended up having to buy new clothes.  Believe it or not, I hate clothes shopping.  But I still needed sweaters, which I LIVE in during the Winters. You can usually find this girl in jeans, a sweater, a scarf, and boots or Uggs (oh and my Grandmother Rosalie's pearls), on any given day during the colder parts of Fall and throughout the Winter. So I bought Large sweaters.... Well, they were too big, so I took them back... But the Mediums were too small... So I decided on the Large sweaters.  That way I can layer and not look like the Pillsbury Dough Girl.

So check out Ali and Mark's Pinterest page.  She has awesome tips and tricks.  You can also check them out at CoreCamper.com. You might find a pic or two of me on there as well... I still owe Ali some pic collages that I promised, so there might more in the near future.  Of course you can always admire the six pack abs that Ali has after having two of the cutest little girls (besides my own daughter, of course) in the world!!!

If you have a chance to try their workouts, please do.... You won't be disappointed. They have several workouts for various ages and abilities.  If you happen to be in the Wayzata area, Ali conducts boots camps and I heard recently that they are going to be offering personal training (correct me if I am wrong, Ali).  They have also expanded to Health and Wellness programs for corporations (corporate wellness and health promotion). Mark, her husband handles the human performance aspect.  I absolutely vouch for both of them.  Not only are the my trainers, but I am also honored to call them friends! Check them out... Once you do, you'll never go back to conventional workouts, especially when you see the results! I know that I have been thrilled with the results...

No comments: