Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day #7

I mentioned this yesterday on Facebook, but I am thankful for my Mother being born (her birthday is 11/6). Through all the drama of the last few months, my mother has remained my rock and my comfort, reminding of who I am and where I came from.  Though she didn't need to be born for me to exist, since I am adopted, my Mother, no matter how frustrated with her I get, is still my Mama. My Mama is also one of my best friends and whenever I need encouragement or a laugh, she is there for me.  She has become much like my Grandmother Rosalie as she gets older, because though she is opinionated and strong-willed, she is good at (for the most part) being quiet and gracious when need be (even when she admits that she wants to give people a piece of her mind).  She often reminds me to take care of myself, that it is ok to march to the beat of a different drum, and to reassure me that though people say what they want, I have accomplished more than she ever dreamed.  But she also recognizes my stubborn, persistent side, which I got from her.

People also cite nature versus nurture, but I know that nurture has shaped me more than I think nature does or ever will.  I find myself saying things to Chloe Elleanore, that my Mama said to me.  When Chloe recently had her turn to stay with my parents (Oh is she EVER getting to be a big girl and no longer my baby!), my mother was mindful of the fact that I still wanted to be involved.  It is never easy to have your child away from you but even harder when there are so many miles away.  However, my mother recognized immediately that my child is much like I was and was able to meet her needs as things cropped up.  Like she saw that Chloe hates to say goodbye, or to end the day.  She also loves people very much and enjoys shopping, not because of the material aspect, but she enjoys the socialization. She sees that though I was fearful to be a parent, that my child is incredibly smart and sweet (But I am sure all parents say that). She sees why I parent Chloe like I do, because I get my child has a personality much like mine.  I appreciate that validation.

I can honestly say that even though we don't always see eye to eye and both of our stubbornness gets in the way, I am incredibly lucky to have a Mother who has always wanted what was best for me.  She was a great example of what a mother should be.  I know some people are not as blessed as I am nor have they had a mother in their lives which helped mold and guide them.  I find that sad, because even when I mess up, my Mama is there to listen and sometimes offer advice.

I find myself being more like her.  Especially from an educational and personality perspective.  We both  do not have a problem speaking our minds, or admitting when we are wrong.  We both are neat freaks, love to laugh, and to care for people.  It may be the first born female thing, but I think that growing up, my Mama taught me to value people and not things.  She also taught me that there sometimes comes a time where you have to let people go to move forward.  She taught me to appreciate the little things like baking and cooking for others, listening to nature, enjoying the outdoors, defending those she loves, being a Southern lady, and not starting a fight, but being darn sure I finished it.  She taught me to love music, reading, and education.  She also taught me how to let go and forgive.

So even though she drives me nuts with her countless questions and advice (which she is usually right about).  I am absolutely blessed to have her as my mother. I count her as one of my best friends.  How many people can say that?  I know many people who do not have a mother, a relationship with their mother, or even a poor one at best.  Though she and I have had our differences, I am grateful and thankful for my Mama. I only hope that Chloe Elleanore feels the same about me someday...

No comments: