Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Not as pathetic as you thought...



The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.
~Winston Churchill
It has been over six months since I posted on my blog. It was a good choice considering the negativity which was surrounding me at the time. I think that veracity had the last word... Validation and corroboration overrode me being discredited, and though it may appear like one thing… I have learned that things never really are quite what they seem and I do happen to have friends in high places, who have and had my back. Nevertheless, the outcome was what I expected, but even more than what I actually did expect. Like we say in healthcare and education, "If it isn't documented then it isn't completed or done"... Let's just say that being over-organized and being in the habit of documenting everything, someone else receiving bad advice and a well placed GPS, helped in the end. Nothing like going from seven to five... And then out of the game at twelve... With little to show for it...

At the urging of several people, I am back to blogging again. Just a few updates, because I have been entirely too busy to write and I probably won't until the weekends these days:

1. I have been in Alabama almost a year and I love it here. I go back to WI once or twice a month, but I have to say that I am glad that the snow has been up there and NOT here. Actually, this weather has been good for my fibromyalgia and really my entire wellbeing.

2. I am now two years out from my surgery and I am maintaining now. I run, do corecamper.com, and am taking Tae Kwon Do now (when I have time). I was sidelined by plantar fasciitis and my body had to adapt to the humidity, but so far so good.

3. Chloe graduated from preschool and is headed to Pre-K in the fall. Just waiting to see if she was accepted to the Montessori school. I actually filled out the application for the school when she started preschool anticipating that she would do better there and her preschool teacher verified this. Since I am an educator, I am willing to do whatever she needs to be successful in school. She has already started to read a little bit, which is no surprise as I was almost four when I started reading and four when I started piano.  The school district she is currently in, has given approval for her to attend school in another district. It is either that or the private school in town. So we shall see…

4. I am two classes away from completing my doctoral course work and then I am on to dissertation. I am happy that I am progressing and will meet my goal before I turn 40 (which was the plan, even with a few diversions). I have been blessed to have people volunteer to be on my dissertation committee without me asking. All of them are people that have mentored me, so I am very grateful for their assistance in this final phase of my formal education.

5. I cut my hair. I decided that I would grown my hair out until I hit my goal weight. I just decided it was time and had my friend Leah cut it. Basically with me in the pool often, the humidity here in the South, and the fact that I'm always on the go; the cut made more sense!

6. My weight loss pin on Pinterest has taken a life of its own in the last few days… It has been pinned and repinned, so I am hoping that it is inspiring others as I know that many are using it for motivation and sharing it as well.

7. At work, my assistant and I have totally redone our syllabi, curriculum, and in the final stages of preparing everything for summer session.  I have written enough curriculum in the form of discussion questions and writing assignments that I probably could have written a whole book. In fact, I developed Power Points for a sociology course and the publisher is considering using them for instructor resources. I did what I did out of necessity, but being told that, was a nice surprise. I can’t believe that I have been here almost a year. It has been a crazy ride, but somehow we have made it through it.

8. My life pretty much consists on school, work, travel to see Chloe, working out, and sleeping.  I really have a kind of boring life, but I do have good friends down here who I can go fishing with, swimming with, to the lake, on the four wheelers, to the range, have bonfires with, and also go on motorcycle rides with. However boring my life is, life back in the South has actually been a good thing for me. Getting back to my roots was important as much for me, as it was for me to feel like I am doing right by my daughter.
The haircut...

Ready for Preschool Graduation


9. My fibromyalgia is pretty much in remission (if you can say that). The warmer weather and the steadiness of temperatures, keeps me from being in as much pain as I was up North. I find that I sleep better and am able to stay active more than I was when I was in WI and MN. I spend a lot of time outdoors doing what I love.

10. I am getting closer to finding my biological family. But with work, school, and Chloe, it really isn’t that big of a priority.  I know it sounds terrible, but that’s the truth in a nutshell. I have however, relatives ALL over the South, so eventually I guess I will meet one of them and find out the truth or something… You can probably tell that I am pretty much ok with knowing or not know. I am confident in who and what I am and if I get an answer, I get an answer lol… I know, I really don’t sound too enthusiastic.

Anyway, I am going to get back to blogging and sharing ideas and tips for leading a healthier lifestyle. I am not sure how often anymore because my dissertation will take a bulk of my time, but even when I wasn’t writing, I was still inspiring people to lose weight, by whatever means they felt was best. In fact, at least 9 people have had weight loss surgery and more than 13 have made lifestyle changes. As an educator, that is probably the best way to test your impact- is if someone takes the experiences you’ve had and shared (good and bad) and uses it to better themselves.  If you are just starting your journey, in the middle, or close to the end, congratulations and keep moving ahead!!!!

No comments: