Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Almost There!!!!!

So it's been some time since I last posted. Mostly because of work, being sick, and finishing up my doctorate. As many of you know, my job takes up a large amount of my time. The result is that I am often tired and burn the candle at both ends. However, I tend to do better during stress, for some odd reason. I guess that eventually you adapt. I guess this is more of an update than anything else. So here goes from August until now.

1. I moved and I mentioned that in an earlier post as well as bought a new car. So I have a new house and a new car which I purchased all on my own. My raise helped that quite a bit. I really like my Charger and have started doing things to it, including tinting the windows, replacing the headlights with brighter halogens. Next step is the racing stripe and new rims. Chloe likes it too, though much to her consternation it is not red.

2. I finished my comps (comprehensive exam) before dissertation. 65 pages later... I am still awaiting the results. However I have maintained my straight A GPA (God only knows how). I am in the middle of the last class as well. Let's just say that I never in a million years, thought that I would be this close to the end. It has been a strange and interesting ride from 2011 (when I started my doctoral work) and now.

3. Chloe had her 4K conferences and as always, she is a shining star. I will have a separate blog post about this and her, later. However, she never ceases to amaze me with what she says and what she knows. She was Merida from "Brave" this Halloween and boy did she get a ton of compliments. Now that we have mastered the "pink shooter" (her BB gun), we are now getting into bows and fishing. She loves to fish and is looking forward to fishing with Grandpa Odell. I am so glad that she is an outdoorsy kiddo like I was. Her obsession with bows was reinforced with a new bow for Halloween, since she was Merida. She's also asked to go hunting with her dad and grandpa but was upset that she will not get a tree stand of her own. That's my girl!!!

4. So I have continued to maintain my weight loss, but with the work pressures, I haven't been in but one 5K this year. I have the goal of running the Music City Marathon with one of my faculty members. It is actually pretty exciting to think that I get to do something I have always dreamed of.
5. I am the proud owner of a new 9mm... So far just adding to the collection. It handles nicely and I have had a fun time with it at the range. My range buddies (mostly cops), make me laugh when I come in with it instead of the .45. Evidently, I wimped out by buying a 9mm- according to them. Though they all know that I use the .45 at the range, more often than not.

6. Things have really worked in my favor since I left the dreaded "North". I know that I stayed entirely too long in the frozen tundra, but there were various reasons- one being my smart and energetic, daughter. I have some great people in my life here and have been able to connect with several old friends who are here in the Birmingham area. I am thankful that Karma has been kind. I realize that the mistakes of the past are in the past. Mostly because I owned them and decided to move forward, rather to be sucked back into that whole mess. You live and learn.... and God knows I am still learning, but I think that I learned some valuable lessons about people, human nature, and being transparent and honest. And in the end, at least I don't have to hear everyday how I screwed up!

No comments: